Friday, September 15, 2006

"I quit my job today" by Pezhman

My career is not a profession, it is labor; educated labor work is even worse. It is new face of slavery; that has been evolved. I have been slave of my paycheck. I’ve earned well, consumed abundantly, and I have always been worried of my next paycheck! That is how they do business here; they raise peoples’ level of anxiety, stimulate their basic desires, and encourage them to spend more and more. It assures people see not further than their noses. People are tamed. It is not even better than supplying narcotic drug to a person, neither better than throwing a bone for a dog.

I hated my cubicle life, staring at monitor 9 to 7 everyday. I need flexible working hours. It killed my social skills. I’d like to go around, do different things and meet other people. Imagining myself ten years down the road was scaring. I quit.

My colleagues were too nice, too polite, too considerate. That was not even funny! Conservative, short sight, perfectionist, detail-oriented, isolated, anxious and tensed dead-mind human doings! So frightened of life that they should keep themselves busy all the time. Anything, whatever, that kills the time. Idleness tortures them. Never again, will I have business lunch with co-workers who solve problems on paper cover of the table!

Years working like that softened my sharp corners. It was enough. I quit.

I had promised myself to quit my job, if only one more time we get together with friends and somebody says, “If I were reborn, I would live differently.” And it happened last night.

4 comments:

Jackal said...

I'm really happy for you mate, for you finally realized that blaming the system, media, economy or any other conspiracy theory you might like to pick up is just bullocks. No one can truly waive his sole responsibility on whatever his life condition is, deny his own weaknesses and deficiencies and whine and curse the time and circumstances by bringing forward totally arbitrary and irrelevant accounts, from divine intervention to random character of nature.

Anonymous said...

good for you pezhman, I tried to do it once, but after all I couldn't, I am back in the route, though my stuation is somehow different from yours, but in my case after several months and thinking for a long time I decided I can't simply ignore all the time and energy and "life" I had put in that route, so I decided to come back, but find my own way and method :)what I regret most is that I may not be able to travel as much as I love to;)

Sh. said...

pezhman, i first gasped and felt preplexed, then i read the comments and i feel better, or worse. i don't know :) i totally identify.

koochi said...

That is so moving, so true, so right. All I know is, I live once, and my dreams are larger than life. I am not to settle for anything less than what "feels" right. Follow your heart, it will never mislead you Pezhman jan.

Best,
Orkideh