Tuesday, October 03, 2006

"from a BOAT (6)" by Jackal

"from a BOAT (1)" by Jackal
"from a BOAT (2)" by Jackal
"from a BOAT (3)" by Jackal
"from a BOAT (4)" by Jackal
"from a BOAT (5)" by Jackal

"from a BOAT (6)" by Jackal

I think I have finally found a corner of my own here, deep in the privacy of my cabin. The hour is close to midnight but it feels like an unearthly time. The sea is calm, like a sleeping baby; there’s just the occasional tossing and turning or little splashes on the side of the boat. The constant humming of the engine is becoming a part of me. It does give a sense of continuity but hell it is still annoying. Looking outside, it’s hard to find a direction without the blinding flash of all the lights. Even the sea surface is bright white. I tried to go outside the living quarters to sit down for a moment and… flipping safety regulations don’t allow me to light up a frigging fag. So I come back here to switch all lights off and stare into nowhere. A few minutes before I was looking at the subsea camera screens; just to see some little fish flapping around, looking so shiny and white under the projectors that I couldn’t even tell their color. Too much light doesn’t even let the poor fish rest in peace, nor does it let me. But I suppose they are luckier than I am. They will have the dark, still, and comforting bottom of the sea for the rest of the year. Would it not be cool if I was a little fish? No, on a second thought, perhaps rather a big fish. Something worth catching. God I wish I was close to you in the dark…

No comments: