Friday, October 13, 2006

"Bookseller of Kabul" by ShekarKhand

It is the title of a book that I started reading about two weeks ago. (in my uneventful life the books that I am reading are the only subjects that I feel like talking about.)

The book is by a Norwegian female reported who stayed in Afghanistan during the US-Afghanistan war and got to know a bookseller and his family in Kabul. She tells the story of the bookseller, his two wives and his extended family.

There were some facts in the book that was very strange to me. So strange that I am not sure I should believe it or not (the author claims that everything in the book has actually happened; she is only narrating the thought and feelings of people involved in the events.)

Math books at the time of Taliban sounded like the following: (I am quoting directly from the book):

1- Sadegh has one Kalashnikov and 10 bullets. He kills 3 atheists, each with one bullet. How many bullets is left for him?

2- Two brothers killed their sister following their mother's order. The newly-wed sister had slept with a guy (supposedly her secrete boy friend) while she was waiting for her husband, whom she has never met, to come back from Europe and take her with him.

I am still half way through the book, so I am not sure what is coming next.

2 comments:

LT said...

I find it hard to believe her! Is this really true?!

I have to check out that book! but first, I really need to talk to someone from Afghanistan...

come on! this can't be real! is life this unfair?! suddenly I find it hard to be happy :(

Anonymous said...

> 2 - Two brothers killed their sister ...

Is this unbelievable? Things like that happen in Iran, too. Haven't you ever heard of any of them?

Mehrjui shows one such incident in his movie Bemani.