Tuesday, October 31, 2006

no title#5 by Baran

[Imagine this scene, close up of a face, a man’s face, talking to the some one we can’t see, the camera, behind him you can see a big library made from dark wood, full of books, and he starts talking, he has a combination of anger, sorrow, excitement and fear, specially fear, at times he seems to be confused, at rare moments he smiles like a child, and he talks, sometimes really slowly, sometimes with a rush of emotions, loud and fast…these are his monologues.]

Let me tell you right away it was not my fault. Yes, that is true, I was there all the time, but it was not my fault. I was an observer, nothing more, please don’t tell me that I had enough power to stop it, you should know better, I did not. You know how her look paralyzes one, you know damn well how it arrests you…or do you? It leaves you standing there with close to nothing, unable to even say a word…but I have to make a confession, I knew it even before entering the room. I had seen it in her eyes, in each and every movement of hers from days before, but you know…well…I believed her. She told me everything will be alright, that we’re going to be even happier after this, so I believed her, I was hoping the time will wash it away from her body…yes I was wrong, it only grew bigger and bigger, yeah I know I was wrong like many times before, no you don’t need to tell me that this was important, let me tell you, I could not do anything to prevent it…you know I don’t remember when it all started, she told me it was not long ago, she said I won’t remember then, I was afraid but she was so beautiful and she told me it was ok , that it was not my fault that I didn’t remember…Ah her eyes; the blue seemed to be more grayish at those moments, even though I should tell that during the past few days they were full of fire, with a greenish hue…Oh yeah the days before that she tried to avoid looking into my eyes, she had kind of a hesitance, once I even tried to ask her but she just told me:” it’s ok honey, don’t you worry! It will all be ok really soon.” And even then she didn’t look me straight into the eyes. I am telling you, I could see it even in her steps, the way she moved her hip…Now wait a minute! Are you judging me? You better not! I am telling you, you better not...she never judged me, she always told me she loved me the way I was and once she even told me that she loved me more than ever because of what I had given her and then she looked down at her tummy and smiled…Her suffering was so glorious that I was astounded…Ah those screams. Loud, very loud, oh you should have heard them for yourself, as if with each one a part of her flew away and she got tinier with each scream… You remember, don’t you? She was a tiny girl, fragile sort of…oh her wrists, like a baby’s, so small, so delicate, I used to hold her wrists in my hands to see my red fingerprints on her white skin, no, no I didn’t press too hard, just a little, a tiny bit…But you know maybe you can help me, help me to understand it, my head was still banging with her last scream, I could not see anymore, she was not there, the room was turning around me, it was full of shadows, I felt weak and tired, everything was blurry, and then they gave me this wrap of white towel, I held it, something was moving very slowly inside it, so I moved the towel a bit and I saw a reddish skin, yes skin, and then just at that moment all the banging stopped. Silence took over for a few minutes, I was not afraid anymore, now don’t give me that look, even then I know that I should be sad, but I was not horrified anymore, it was as if I was covered with a big warm white towel myself…after a few seconds this vague sound broke the silence, It was from within the white towel I can tell, yeah probably it was from there, it was something .
between joy and sorrow, a weak cry, but it was beautiful, it felt familiar, yet I don’t remember where or when I had heard it before…you know that …that well my memory is not working well, that’s what they kept telling her, I think I saw her eyes once after they told her this , her wet blue eyes, and then she turned and smiled at me, she said:” no accident can take you from me.” Oh yes I remember it very well…Ah but that sound., I am telling you from that moment on whenever I hear that sound I have the same cozy feeling, and in those moments I can be confident that there was nothing I could do to prevent it. You see, I told you, it was not my fault, was it? Maybe if she was here she would have told you that it was not my fault…was it?!

[This could be beginning of a film, maybe about a psychoanalyst, maybe the story of this man’s life, maybe the story of the girl’s life, maybe the story of the baby’s…I don’t know. But if it is a film, you’ll see the film’s title right after the man stops talking.]

2 comments:

LT said...

this was disturbingly fantastic! loved it.

i am thinking if this is only the beginning of a movie, what can possibly happen next?!

Anonymous said...

thanx leili, yeah me too, I'll think on it:)